History of The LATC
Built in 1916, the one-story building was designed by John Parkinson and G. Edwin Bergstrom in a Greek-Revival style with Ionic columns. In addition to the columns, the building is known for its lobby with a large 50 by 100-foot (30 m) stained glass ceiling supported by heavy ornamental bronze cornices and marble walls.
It has been known over the years as the Security Trust & Savings Building, the Security National Bank Building and the President Trading Company. When Spring Street developed into the financial center of Los Angeles in the early 1900s, the Bank moved from Main Street to the H.W. Hellman Building in 1904. As it became the largest bank in Los Angeles, the Security Savings Bank relocated to the Security Building at Spring and Fifth streets in 1907.
In 1985, the building reopened as The Los Angeles Theater Center.
Honoring Native Lands
As an organization dedicated to providing space for artists from many cultural backgrounds, we want to acknowledge that the building where The LATC is located, in which we gather to share stories, is on the traditional lands of The Kizh Kitc Gabrieleños. We pay our respect to Kizh Kitc Gabrieleños and other Indigenous caretakers of these lands and waters; and to their elders who have lived here, who live here now, and who will live here in the future. We extend that respect to all Indigenous people who join us for programming at The LATC.